Bengal is in the eastern part of India. It has rich cultural heritage. My father worked in Bengal for around nine years. During that period I got an opportunity to look at Bengali culture closely. They are very fond of their food, and more so their sweet dishes. Many Bengali sweets are made from milk or milk products. Today I will share recipe of a simple Bengali dessert called bhapa doi: steamed yogurt pudding (bhapa means steamed and doi is yogurt).
It is a very easy dish to make and you can hardly ever go wrong. Hung yogurt (curd in India) is used in this recipe, though if you have Greek Yogurt it will also give very good result.
Bhapa doi: steamed yogurt pudding recipe
Bhapa doi: steamed yogurt pudding
Prep time: 10 minutes Cooking time: 35 minutes Servings: 6-8
Sweetened condensed milk — 1 can
Hung yogurt, or Greek Yogurt, beaten — 1 cup
milk — 1 cup
saffron — few strands
Fruits for decoration (such as mango, strawberry, cherry), sliced — half cup (optional)
- Beat together yogurt and condensed milk. If you want the dish less sweet, slightly reduce the quantity of condensed milk. Then add milk, and mix the contents properly.
- Pour in a greased baking dish.
- Heat the oven to 180 degree C (350 F). Partially fill a large baking tray with water. Place the baking dish containing mixture in it so that water is half way up.
- Place it in the oven and bake for about 35 minutes. Check with a knife if the mixture is set, and the corners are slightly brown. If not done, bake for few more minutes.
- Take out from oven and allow it to cool. Then keep the dish in refrigerator for at least 1 hour. If you have time, rest it in refrigerator overnight.
- Gently invert the dish on a plate, and tap it. The pudding will slide out. Sprinkle saffron (dissolved in warm water) over it. If you want, you can decorate it with mango slices, or fruits of your choice. Serve chilled.
Tip: Alternatively you can make it using double boiler method. Cover the dish containing mixture with foil. Heat some water in a large container, and keep mixture dish in it. Cover the lid and allow it to cook in steam on low flame for about 35 minutes.