Come winters, and soup becomes the most important part of the food that we take. Every day we cannot take the same – tomato, or vegetable soup. Recently I found a very refreshing soup recipe, that excited me to try it in my kitchen. After some changes, I made this sweet pea and mint soup. It has become everyone’s favorite at my dinner table.
It is made with fresh peas and lots of mint leaves that give it a bright green color. You can add some fresh cream at the end, but I use hung curd to give it a healthy turn. If you are a vegan, you can avoid these, it will still taste good.
The other soups that are regular at our home are cream of almond soup, and lemon coriander soup. Soups are healthy. Since they are consumed hot, they give us warmth in winter chill. I try to avoid the use of corn flour to thicken the soup. In this case sweet pea is blended in liquidizer. As a result the soup becomes slightly thick and creamy. We can sprinkle some finely chopped mint leaves on the top.
Recipe of sweet pea and mint soup
Prep time: 10 minutes Cooking time: 20 minutes Servings: 4
butter — 1 tablespoon
fresh peas, shelled (or frozen peas, thawed) — 2 cups
garlic, finely chopped — 2 cloves
onion, finely chopped — 1 medium
fresh mint leaves — 1 cup
vegetable stock or water — 3 cups
lemon juice — 2 teaspoons
freshly ground pepper — 1/4 teaspoon
salt to taste
hung curd — 2 table spoons
- Heat butter in a pan. Add garlic and stir for few minutes. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally till it is softened but not browned.
- Add peas and salt, and stir for 2 minutes. Add mint leaves, and vegetable stock. Cover and let it cook for about 5 minutes. Do not over cook to preserve bright green color of peas.
- Remove the pan from heat. Churn the content in a liquidizer. Strain it and once again heat it all. Add some ground pepper, and also adjust the salt according to your taste. Add lemon juice. Remove the pan from heat. Your soup is ready.
- Garnish it with curd and fresh mint leaves, and serve hot.
Step by step demo of how I made sweet pea and mint soup is given below.
- I sauteed onion and garlic till the onions softened a bit, but did not brown them.
2. Then I added sweet peas and salt and cooked them covered for few minutes. Then I added mint leaves and vegetable stock to it, and allowed it to simmer for about five minutes.
3. I removed the pan from fire and churned the content in liquidizer. I then adjusted the salt and added some crushed black pepper. After that I allowed it to simmer for few minutes. Finished it by squeezing one lemon juice into it.
4. Pea and mint soup is ready to be served. I added some hung curd to it. If you want you can add cream instead, but I wanted to keep it light.
Hot and tasty sweet pea and mint soup is ready to be served
Serve hot with buns or sandwiches. Light and healthy soup will surely win everyone’s heart.