I prefer to eat only raw fruit diet once in a week. Raw fruits help in detoxifying the body, apart from being full of nutrition. Though I avoid eating spices and salt too, this fruit chaat recipe has spicy, sweet, sour, and salty flavor. One basic difference between a fruit salad and fruit chaat is the spiciness. Fruit chaat is much more spicy. Chaat in Hindi means to lick. So chaat dishes are mouth watering and spicy so that you will feel like licking your fingers, or plate once you have polished off the dish.
It is all weather dish. Any combination of fresh fruits can be used. These are winters, so I have used apples, bananas, grapes, pomegranate, guava etc. as they are available in India in this season. In summer we use melons, and mango. Sweet potato and potato are also added to enhance the flavor. It is a popular street food of North India.
Prep time: 20 minutes Cooking time: 10 minutes Servings : 6
Recipe of Fruit Chaat
Bananas, sliced (in rounds) — 2
orange, peeled segmented –1
papaya, peeled and cubed –1 cup
grapes seedless– 1 cup
Apple, cubed –1
guava (preferably ripe), cubed–1
pomegranate seeds–1/2 cup
sweet potato, boiled, peeled, and cubed–1 cup
potato, boiled, peeled, and cubed–1 cup
lemon juice –1 table spoon
black pepper powder –half tea spoon
cumin seeds, roasted and powdered –1 tea spoon
black salt — half tea spoon
chaat masala — 1 teaspoon
sugar — 1 teaspoon
salt to taste
oil to shallow fry potatoes
- Shallow fry potato cubes on low heat, till they are golden. Add salt and black pepper powder to them.
- Mix all the ingredients and potatoes. Do not mix too vigorously. Taste and adjust the spices and salt.
- Decorate with mint leaves if you want, and serve.
1. Cut the fruits, cover with a foil or plastic sheet and keep in refrigerator for an hour if you make chaat in summers.
2. If you refrigerate fruits for some time, apply some lemon juice on banana slices and apple cubes so that they do not change color.
3. Add spices just before you serve, otherwise fruits will leave their juices. Also add fried potatoes at the end so that they retain their crunchiness.
Step by step demonstration of how I made fruit chaat is given below:
- I boiled, peeled, and diced potatoes. Then I shallow fried them on a pan.
2. I diced all other fruits, and boiled, peeled, and cubed sweet potato.
3. I added all the spices, sugar, and lemon juice, and mixed the content gently. Fruit chaat is ready.
Serve it as a salad or snack on it in between meals.