Momos have become hugely popular street food of late. This Tibetan dish can now be seen in the streets all over India. It is very versatile and can be made with various fillings such as vegetables, paneer (curd/cottage cheese), chicken, lamb, etc. It is healthy as it is steamed; though now pan fried versions as well as tandoori momos have also become very popular. I very often make steamed chicken momos at home and they are very delicious.
You will need a steamer for steaming the momos. Traditionally they are steamed in a bamboo steamer, but if you don’t have it, use any steamer available in market. You can steam it in rice cooker too.
recipe of steamed chicken momos
Prep time: 20 mins Cooking time: 20 mins Servings: 15 momos
All purpose flour (maida) 2 cups
mince chicken 250gms
onion, finely chopped 1 (medium sized)
garlic, finely chopped 4-5 cloves
ginger, finely chopped 1 inch piece
coriander leaves, finely chopped 2 table spoon
Soya sauce 2 teaspoons
salt to taste.
Few cabbage leaves for spreading in steamer.
Tomatoes, finely chopped 2 cups
garlic, finely chopped 2-3 cloves
red chilly powder 1/2 teaspoon
cooking oil 1 tablespoon
salt to taste.
For preparing chicken momos:
1. To prepare dough, take the flour and add some salt to it. Knead it into dough using water so that it is neither too tight nor too soft.Cover it and allow it to rest for some time.
2. For filling, take chicken mince and add chopped onions, garlic, ginger, and coriander to it. Add soya-sauce and salt to it. Be careful while adding salt as soya-sauce also contains salt. Mix everything properly.
3. Divide dough into 15 parts. Roll out a small thin rounds/poori (see picture). Put a spoonful of filling and fold the sides to make a small packet/potli (see picture). Pinch the edges. Make similar packets using rest of the dough. You can experiment and make chicken momos of different shapes. You can make it of crescent shape, similar to a gujhiya as well.
4. Heat water in steamer. Spread cabbage leaves at the base of the perforated vessel and place momos on it. Due to these leaves, momos do not stick to the vessel. If you do not want to use leaves, apply some oil to the vessel and then place momos on it. Steam the chicken momos for 15-20 minutes.
1. Heat oil in a pan. Add chopped garlic and saute for a minute. then add red chili.
2. Quickly add chopped tomatoes to it. Add salt to taste. Cover with a lid and let it cook on low flame till tomatoes are done. Sauce is ready.
Serve this sauce with steaming hot chicken momos.
Pictures of various steps to prepare chicken momos: